Final Preparations Underway For YDT
With the start of the 2015 Yarn Discovery Tour just days away, products continue to arrive for the prize baskets with 14 participating sponsors now listed in the left column and more on the way.
Passports are still available for purchase for $5 each at all 21 participating shops listed in the left column, and the first 700 Tourists who register will also receive a 2015 YDT tote bag and measuring tape.
All Tourists will be registered for a drawing for a $100 prize basket at each shop they visit. There will also be multiple-shop prize baskets awarded as detailed below under rules for participation.
Prize baskets will be filled by merchandise provided by leading needlework companies which are listed in the left column.
Starting Tuesday, Sept. 8, through Saturday, Sept. 26, the 19-day run makes this the longest in the event’s 8-year history.
The 8th edition of Northeast Ohio’s annual shop hop for fiber enthusiasts will also feature longer weekend hours for the convenience of Tourists trying to visit all 21 shops.
In addition to each shop’s regular hours, all shops on the Tour will open no later than 11 a.m. and close no earlier than 5 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. In previous years shops were required to stay open only until 4 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.
* * *
2015 YDT Rules
1. Purchase a $5 passport from any participating shop listed, and the first 700 to register will also receive a YDT 2015 tote bag and measuring tape.
2. Spend a minimum of $10 at a participating shop from September 8-26, get your passport stamped, and receive a free pattern and entry in a drawing for that shop’s prize basket ($100 value).
3. Get your passport stamped at multiple shops and qualify for drawings for prize baskets full of hundreds of dollars of yarns and accessories:
* 5 shops — Cool Prize Basket
* 10 shops — Awesome Prize Basket
* 15 shops — Extraordinary Prize Basket
* All 21 shops — Grand Prize Basket
4. Passports may be used on any of the 19 days of the tour during each shop’s regular business hours. In addition, all shops have agreed to be open during the following common YDT hours:
* Thursdays & Fridays 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
* Saturdays & Sundays 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
NOTE: Participating shops may have different hours on Mondays through Wednesdays (some may be closed), and some shops may have longer hours on Thursdays through Sundays. All regular shop hours will be printed on each passport. In addition each shop’s regular business hours can be double-checked on their website.
* * *
Last Year’s Tour
Carol Yachanin won the grand prize basket filled with a cornucopia of yarns and needlework accessories awarded at the conclusion of this year’s 7th annual Yarn Discovery Tour. Her name was drawn at random from those who had their passports stamped at all 17 shops on the tour.
Marianne Karwowski Hoppel took home the Extraordinary Prize Basket from those who visited 13 shops, Lisa MacNamara won the Awesome Prize Basket for 10-shop tourists and Marla Friedman was awarded the Cool Prize Basket after visiting five shops.
Including prize baskets awarded by each of the 17 shops on the tour, a total of 21 prize winners were drawn at random from the record 567 fiber enthusiasts — nearly 100 more than last year — who participated in this year’s annual Northeast Ohio “shop hop.”
Yarn and needlework accessories for the three big prize baskets were provided by the 21 participating sponsors (listed to the left). Rules for participation in YDT 2014 were similar to previous years with the addition of a fourth major prize basket.
Preliminary plans for the 2015 edition are already being discussed, with the 8th annual event expected to begin immediately after the Labor Day weekend.
Winners of all 21 prize baskets include:
17-Shop Grand Prize Winner
* Carol Yachanin
13-Shop Prize Winner
* Marianne Karwowski Hoppel
10-Shop Prize Winner
* Lisa MacNamara
5-Shop Prize Winner
* Marla Friedman
Individual Shop Prize Winners
* Nancy Eger (Artists’ Gallery)
* Phyllis Nabakowski (Black Locust Farm)
* Peggy Krueger (Cornerstone Yarns)
* Jean Tibbs (Crochet Innovations)
* Tasia Seefong (Ewes d’Bleu)
* Rose Holva (Fine Points)
* Judy Vasbinder (Harps & Thistles Yarn
* Coletta Pilato (Heidi & Lana)
* Bernice Rhode (Knots—Knitting on the
* Susan O’Malley (My Sister’s Yarn Shop)
* Pamela Christ (River Colors Studio)
* Samantha Lash (Smith’s Knitshop)
* Sherri Price (Studio Knit)
* Cathy Davidson (The Artful Yarn)
* Sue Rohner (The Designing Woman)
* Michelle Cutlip (The Knit Shop)
* Kathy Schreck (The Ohio Fiber Network)
* * *