We couldn’t find baskets big enough to hold all the merchandise donated by sponsors for the 2013 prize winners! From left to right above, the 5-shop, 10-shop, and grand prize 17-shop winning baskets.
2014 Dates Set For
Yarn Discovery Tour
Fiber enthusiasts in the Northeast Ohio area can mark their calendars now for the return of the annual fall Shop Hop in 2014.
Yarn Discovery Tour organizers have announced that the event’s 7th edition will be held from Friday, Sept. 5, through Saturday, Sept. 20.
Rules for participation in 2014 will be similar to previous years (see 2013 rules below) and will be announced here in the coming weeks and months along with this year’s participating shops and sponsors.
Last year five new shops were added in Brecksville, Grafton, Richfield, Sebring and Vermilion. Along with 12 of 14 shops returning from the previous year, a total of 17 shops took part in 2013, with 27 sponsoring companies generously contributing a record amount of yarns and needlework products for the prize baskets.
First held in 2008, Yarn Discovery Tour is an annual event for fiber enthusiasts to become more familiar with their local yarn shops throughout Northeast Ohio.
Yarn Discovery Tour
2013 Prize Winners
Mary Bentley won the grand prize basket filled with more than $1,000 worth of yarns and needlework accessories awarded at the conclusion of the 6th annual Yarn Discovery Tour. Her name was drawn at random from those who had their passports stamped at all 17 shops on the tour.
Beth Billings took home the Awesome Prize Basket filled with more than $750 in merchandise for having her name drawn from those who visited 10 shops, while Debbi Melaragno was awarded the Cool Prize Basket worth more than $600 from among those who visited five shops.
A total of 20 prize winners were drawn at random from the 470 fiber enthusiasts who participated in Northeast Ohio’s annual “Shop Hop.”
Yarn and needlework accessories for the three big prize baskets were provided by the 27 participating sponsors (listed to the left). In addition, each of the 17 shops on the tour had separate drawings for their own prize baskets.
An added bonus was the unannounced awarding of small prizes to all tourists who had their passports stamped at all 17 shops. This was made possible by the generous contributions of the 27 sponsoring companies in 2013.
Winners of all 20 prize baskets include:
17-Shop Grand Prize Winner
* Mary Bentley
10-Shop Awesome Prize Winner
* Beth Billings
5-Shop Cool Prize Winner
* Debbi Melaragno
Individual Shop Prize Winners
* Nancy Borchert (Birds of a Feather)
* Patty Jones (Black Locust Farm)
* Beth Billings (Cornerstone Yarns)
* Sue Lash (Crochet Innovations)
* Susan O’Malley (Ewes d’Bleu)
* Gena Davis (Fine Points)
* Jan Essick (Heidi & Lana)
* Rose Holva (Knitting on the Square)
* Eileen Kilroy (My Sister’s Yarn Shop)
* Shirley Burns (RaeMarie Yarns)
* Mary Lou Crawford (River Colors Studio)
* Karen Lynn Wiebusch (Smith’s Knitshop)
* Aimee Ackerman (Studio Knit)
* Kristen Rankin (The Artful Yarn)
* Nancy Eger (The Designing Woman)
* Peggy Jensen (The Knit Shop)
* Susan Howell (The Ohio Fiber Network)
2013 Rules for Participation
1. Purchase a $5 passport from any participating shop listed and receive a YDT tote bag.
2. Spend a minimum of $10 at a participating shop from September 6-21, get your passport stamped, and receive a free pattern and entry in a drawing for that shop’s prize basket ($100 value).
3. Get your passport stamped at multiple shops, and qualify for drawings for prize baskets full of hundreds of dollars of yarns and accessories:
* 5 shops — Cool Prize Basket
* 10 shops — Awesome Prize Basket
* All 17 shops — Grand Prize Basket
4. Passports may be used on any of the 16 days of the tour during each shop’s regular business hours. In addition, all shops have agreed to be open during the following common YDT hours:
* Thursdays & Fridays 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
* Saturdays and Sundays 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
NOTE: Participating shops may have different hours on Mondays through Wednesdays (some may be closed), and some shops may have longer hours on Thursdays through Sundays. So if you plan to visit a shop outside of the common YDT hours, please check each shop’s regular posted business hours.